Yes ! Easter is almost here and the most important recipe from my mother’s kitchen for this season is “FREJON”……… Basically, FREJON is the Portuguese word for beans.
This pudding is made up of black beans, cooked slowly overnight over wood or charcoal fire, and then mixed with coconut milk to form a thick, sweet, smooth pudding.(this is how it was done in the old days hence the charcoal fire haha)
It is a coconut bean soup which is eaten especially during Holy Week
For those that know, join the conversation and for those that don’t; welcome to the conversation and this recipe is just for you…..
WHAT YOU WILL BE NEEDING (INGREDIENTS).
( 1). COCONUTS.
(2 ). BLACK BEANS (EWA IBEJI) .
For 2 Large cups of dark brown beans , you will be needing 8 coconuts.
1. Pick the beans, then wash and cook without salt until the beans is soft and tender.
2.When the beans is cool, blend the beans and sieve the blended beans into a large bowl using warm water.
3.Extract the shaft in beans with a sieve ;If you seive for the first time and you do not have a mixture that is not sediment free, do it again.
4. Break the coconuts, separate the shell from the white Kernel and then grate or blend .
5. Add hot water to the blended coconut to extract all the milk from it using a sieve.
6. Pour the coconut milk into a large bowl . (some will use coconut milk).
7. Finally, Pour both of the mixtures into a large pot to avoid spill over when cooking. Add enough Sugar to taste, then allow to cook/boil until it thickens.The beans is boiled to a thick soft paste and blended with the coconut milk.
If it looks like the photo in this post then well done…. and if it does not its the first of many trials… don’t give up…...
Frejon could be enjoyed with Fried Fish ,peppered snail and fried stew and of course some Garri Ijebu over it.
FYI, my mother still has not missed a Frejon year since I have known her …. it is totally delicious and amazeballs(wink).
Now go try it out and let me know how it turns out Food Lovers…….