Holla!!!! from my Mama’s kitchen to your Kitchen.
I hope you enjoyed the Water Yam Ikokore Recipe, if you missed it click here
I bring you another Yam Recipe. Todays’s Recipe is all about Asaro also known as Yam Pottage.
For those that know how to prepare this dish , join the conversation and for those that don’t; welcome to the conversation and this recipe is just for you…..
First, let ‘s start off with the Nutritional Facts of eating Yam.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS OF YAM.
- Yams are rich in carbohydrate.
- Yam is also a good source of energy, Its crunchy edible tuber chiefly composed of complex carbohydrates and soluble dietary fiber.
- The Fresh root of Yam also contains good amounts of anti-oxidant vitamin; vitamin-C. Vitamin C play some important roles as anti-aging, immune function booster, wound healing, and bone growth.
- Yam also contains small amounts of vitamin-A.Vitamin A has many functions like maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin, night vision, growth and protection from lung and oral cavity cancers.
Okay lets get to the recipe Already…
WHAT YOU WILL BE NEEDING (INGREDIENTS)
- 1 tuber of Yam (chopped).
- smoked fish.
- blended pepper &tomatoes.
- 2 cooking spoons Palm oil.
- A small bunch of Spinach (optional)
- Salt to taste.
- 1 table spoon of crushed dry pepper
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
Cut, peel and wash the yam into medium sized chunks,Place yam in a pot, add water and bring to a boil.when it starts boiling, Add salt, dry Pepper, seasoning,blended pepper and tomatoes and then leave to boil until the yam is nice and soft. ( you could pierce the yam to test for softness)
Add dry crayfish , you could also add cow leg, chicken if desired. leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the palm oil and let it cook for another minute or two. after which you add your Spinach if you desire and let it simmer for another minute on low heat.
The other method is simply to set the boiled yam aside in step 1.
Heat the palm oil in a separate pan add the blended pepper and tomatoes
Fry for a few minutes whilst continue stirring .Now add the dried fish,the seasoning and the shredded spinach(if desired) and stir.
Now Pour the fried palm oil mixture into the pot containing the boiled yam, add the ground crayfish and some salt if needed. stir and let it simmer for 2 -3 minutes. you want a thick mixture. you could also mash some of the chunks of yam into the mixture this makes it thick as well.
And your yam Pottage is all ready to be served.
Now to Serve
Asaro could be enjoyed with Fish, Beef or Snails .
some people like to add all kinds into their meal and thats okay. you could add chunks of beef, cow leg or shredded chicken along with your stock fish.This is completely up to you.
Now thats how you make Asaro.. go on and try it out Food Lovers and remember to share ….
If it looks anything like the photo in this post then well done…. and if it does not its the first of many trials… don’t give up…..try again…
Some people like to add Sugar to sweeten their pottage, I personally don’t. A better healthier option would be adding chunks of sweet potato to the pottage.
Remember that sweet potato cooks faster than yam so it should come in after the Yam has softened a bit. preferrably After step 1