From my Mama’s Kitchen to your Kitchen, I bring you IKOKORE.
Ikokore is a delicious Western Nigerian Delicacy made with grated water yam.
Water yam, has a lot of health benefits which I shall list below.
Health Benefits Of Water Yam
- Water yam belongs to the family of dioscorea alata specie of yam, a tuberous root vegetable. It also has many different names in different countries and regions.
- Nutritionists say that Water yam can slow down the ageing process and also boost our immune system.
- Water yam contains fibre, a substantial amount of antioxidants and Vitamin C.( it is healthy enough for diabetic patients)
- The fresh roots of water yam contain good amount of antioxidant and Vitamin C. The vitamin C in water yam plays so many roles in anti-ageing, immune function, and bone growth.
- Water yam is also a good source of the Vitamin B complex .
I love love this dish, its easy to make, it does not have a long prep time and it is absolutely delicious..
You’d be thanking me for this one thats for sure.
For those that know how to prepare this dish , join the conversation and for those that don’t; welcome to the conversation and this recipe is just for you…..
Okay lets get to it Already…
WHAT YOU WILL BE NEEDING (INGREDIENTS)
- 1 medium water yam.(ISU EWURA)
- 2 table spoon Dried Pepper.
- 1 medium size Dried Fish ( Preferably “Sawa”) roasted Herring Fish
- Ogiri ( african maggi) / magi cubes-Ogiri is a flavoring made of Fermentes Oil Seeds, such as Sesame Seeds or Egusi Seeds. The process and product of Ogiri are similar to Iru(locust beans) . Ogiri also smells like Cheese.
- 100ml Palm oil
- Ground Crayfish (optional)
- salt to taste
1 1/2 cup of Water.
Peel the water yam, cut into medium chunks( this makes it easy to grate), wash thoroughly and then grate the yam into a clean bowl.
put some water in a clean Pot, add Dried Pepper ,Dried fish and magi cube if desired. allow this to come to a boil and then add Ogiri.
Add some salt to the grated water yam and beat thouroughly using your hands.
Now turn the heat down and scoop small portions of the water yam into the boiling soup with your hands to form dumplings. ( careful not tomato a splash and thereby hurt yourself).
Now add palm oil and salt to taste and place the lid on the pot.
Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes and then enjoy your meal.
Now to Serve
Ikokore could be enjoyed with Fish, Beef , Snails or even with Cold Eba.
some people like to add all kinds into their meal and thats okay. you could add chunks of beef, cow leg or shredded chicken along with your stock fish.This is completely up to you.
Now thats how you make Ikokore.. go on and try it out Food Lovers and remember to share ….
If it looks anything like the photo in this post then well done…. and if it does not its the first of many trials… don’t give up…..try again…
water yam is slimy so apply caution whilst grating so as not to hurt yourself. hence the advice of cutting the yam in large chunks not small bits.
Pay attention whilst cooking to ensure your dried fish and al does not stick to the bottom of the pot.
Also, you don’t need to stir the ikokore while cooking, Just allow it cook.