Holla from my mama’s Kitchen…..
My mama does know good food I must say.. yep! mama knows…
Today i bring to your kitchen an Okro recipe….. Sea food Okro precisely….
Okra pods also known as” lady’s fingers” are one of the widely used vegetables in tropical countries. Chopped grated, or sliced, they can be stewed or fried. They can also be mixed with other vegetables, rice, or meat.
In the Caribbean islands, okra is cooked and enjoyed in soup, often with fish.
For those that know how to prepare this dish , join the conversation and for those that don’t; welcome to the conversation and this recipe is just for you…..
First, let ‘s start off with the Nutritional Facts of eating Okro.
Health Benefits of Eating OKRO(OKRA)
- It contains potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium.
- It’s low in calories and has a high dietary fiber content.
- The high amount of folate contained in the okra is beneficial for the foetus during pregnancy. Folate is an essential nutrient which improves the development of the foetus’ brain.
- It contains vitamin K, which is important for bone health and plays a major role in blood clotting.
- It can help stabilize blood sugar levels by slowing its absorption from the intestines.
How could we not love us some Okro… Okay lets get to this recipe Already…
WHAT YOU WILL BE NEEDING (INGREDIENTS)
- ½ cup palm oil
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon ground Crayfish
- 2 ½cups freshly chopped okro
- Seasoning Cubes
- 2-3 Cups of Seafood of choice (shrimps/ prawns, crab,fish)
- 1 dry fish
- 1 bunch of spinach, kale or ugu leaves
- 1 bell pepper
- 3-4 Habanero peppers ( ata-rodo)
- 1 tbsp dry pepper or chili flakes(optional)
- 1/2 Onion bulb (optional)
- 2-3 cups of Water
- Salt to taste
chop the okro and set aside.
Clean and Season your desired sea food ( crabs, fish,shrimp,calamari, prawn) with salt and the dry or black pepper and then set aside.Steam on very low heat and Gently remove the seafood from the stock and set aside. ( preserve the stock for the next step)
In a blender, roughly blend the bell peppers along with the hot peppers and set side.
Place a pot on medium heat and add in the palm oil. Leave for 2-3 minutes.Heat the oil don’t necessarily bleach the oil.
Now add the pepper mix and a teaspoon of tomato paste into the oil. Stir. Add the crayfish powder and 2 cups of water. Simmer for about 15minutes.Then Add your preferred seasoning and salt into the boiling mixture. Stir, taste and adjust your seasoning.
Now Pour just enough of the stock from STEP 2 into the pepper mix and stir. Bring to a boil and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
Then add the chopped okro and dry fish, then reduce the heat. Do not over cook the okro. cook for only a few minutes so the okro does not loose it’s color and crunch.
Add in the parboiled seafood and your preferred green leaves then Stir and Season to taste and set aside. Simmer uncovered for another 3 minutes.The steam in the soup will cook the vegetables .
And that’s it… we are all ready to enjoy our meal. this could be served as a soup by it self or enjoyed with swallow ( pounded yam, eba, amala or any other accompaniment) or with oats (see the oat meal recipe here)
Go on and try it out Food Lovers and remember to share ….
- This is an easy dish to make but you have to get each component of the dish right before putting it all together. Make sure your seafood is well seasoned so it tastes great when it all comes together .
- Try to boil or steam your fish on low heat as boiling fish on high heat hardens the flesh and you loose its nutrients.
- Do NOT put a lid on once the okro has been put in the pot to cook.